Saturday, July 11, 2009

Me, Modeling?

Well, only three days into my first quarter in Architecture school, I got an assignment that totally stopped me in my tracks. After completing an old-school marker-rendering of the thinking man's super-hero (Batman, of course, in the pose of Rodin's The Thinker), I was asked to design Batman's lair (the Batcave) and build a scale model. What a fascinating (literally) assignment! And of course, it is made all the more fascinating by the fact that I have never before made a to-scale architectural model. Oh, did I tell you it is due to be critiqued on Monday afternoon? Guess where I am spending the weekend?

So I am learning first hand the value of the studio experience. A kind, young man with lots of model making expertise has been very helpful. It is amazing how the studio depends upon the value and expertise of each individual member. This is particularly true in the studio called Vertical Studio. When I registered, I considered that it might be about high-rise design. It is not... This studio is called Vertical because it is one of the few studios that are offered to all levels of students, from beginning undergrads to graduate level students. Also fascinating.

The school studio environment is a little "quiet" when it comes to critiques. I anticipated lively critiques and interactive discussions in the studio. I am finding, most people keep to themselves. Still, I am grateful for the opportunity to learn from the more advanced students and to share what I know with them and the beginners alike. I guess it only takes a few out-going folks to broaden the perspective.

Also on my dockett, is my first CADD assignment. I think I can already see how this appeals to many designers. Still, for someone who can draw, it is a little like switching from a fineline felt-tip to a calligraphy brush. They are both tools, useful for different kinds of communication. There is something vrey comforting about feeling ones way through a design problem with a felt-tip pen in hand. The motions and gestures of drawing are so mesmerizing; as are those of the calligrapher with a fine brush. I am certain with practice CADD can become a way-of-life, too.

I am planning to post a picture after I complete my model for the Batcave. I am liking how it is turning out. That is to say, I am liking it at this stage. I remember the 1960's TV series "Batman" and have gotten most of my context for the design from that programs many episodes. Time will tell if my studio thinks that I have gotten it right. Certainly, I will have learned alot about modeling.

1 comment:

  1. Was the "Batcave" completed in time? Is there a picture to post?

    Over and out for now . . .

    ReplyDelete