Monday, July 20, 2009

Group Project: Site Analysis

I just completed an assignment that involved working in a small group. I joined a group for this assignment because I felt like I would be able to learn something more from the others in the group. I am still feeling my way in this new educational environment. Going it alone doesn't seem to be the right course of action.

Thankfully, I also realized early-on that the percentage of work completed would be more-or-less equivalent to the amount learned. That is to say, doing the entire assignment by myself would be more work; and with less opportunity to learn from others. It seemed like a winning situation. And it was, though not quite for the reasons I forecast.

I learned much in completing the assignment because I did a lot of the work on my own. This was a particular area of Architecture about which I know very little. I have never had to make a site analysis presentation. Most of my work as an interior designer involved projects where site analysis meant redesigning the furniture assortment for the deck and / or patio. ...Not considerations of the impact of zoning regulations, or the fact that the site was within an area considered to be an aircraft landing buffer zone.

What was most educational for me was realizing that no matter how much energy one puts into a group project, the outcome, in terms of learning, is proportional. This was very obviously true for one member of our group whose participation was limited (due to a previously planned trip between last week's assignment and this week's due date). His lack of participation showed when our Professor asked questions about the Site Analysis and its implications for the design solution.

In the end, I was genuinely proud of my work and that of my teammates. I think we delivered the "Team 1" spirit we were determined to show. And the analysis showed that spirit as well. Now the challenging, creative, work of turning that analysis into inspired concepts begins. I continue to be inspired (with inspiration that comes from nothing!). And for this I am truly grateful. That, and for the sound sleep that comes of being past the previous deadline, and ahead of the clock on the next one. ...tick, tock, tick, tock...

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you don't often want to be in the situation of the Mad Hatter!

    "I'm late! I'm late! For a very important date! No time to say, 'Hello.' 'Goodbye!' I'm late! I'm late! I'm late!"

    Over and out for now . . .

    ReplyDelete