Monday, June 21, 2010

Another One Bites the Dust

Well, my friends, the Spring Quarter of 2010 school year has come and gone. The grueling "third year" of architecture school is over. It is amazing how time flies! It seems just a short time ago I was contemplating returning to school to get my Bachelor of Architecture Degree. Now I am within two years of that commitment (though realistically, I started working on it 35 years ago).

The quarter ended very well which is a blessing considering the challenges faced last quarter. I received a grade "A" for my studio work this time around. In fact, the instructor kept all of the work that I and my team partner produced including five concept models, the large massing / site model, a mid-scale structural section model, and a "data scape" model as well as our presentation boards. No need to worry about what to do with the models, so painstakingly built, after the quarter ended. The presentation is being retained for the NAAB gallery (National Architecture Accreditation Board) and will be utilized to show a comprehensive project completed by a NewSchool student group!

I also volunteered to help, and attend, graduation this year as a couple of friends were graduating. This was also about keeping my eye on the goal. Graduation takes place in the very beautiful courtyard of the Salk Institute in La Jolla. This is one of two structures in all of San Diego county that someone from afar might come to visit. It is, of course, named for Dr. Jonas Salk, developer of the vaccine for Polio; among other things. As an architecture student, it is famous for being the architectural work of Louis Kahn. The Salk Institute building can be seen in the documentary film "My Architect."

Having sought this goal (B. Arch Degree) for some time, I was aware of the potential for emotional response to the graduation ceremony. I wanted to try to reduce the emotional load a bit by previewing the circumstances. I will probably want to help with graduation again next year; for the same reason. As it was, I teared up a number of times thinking about how my parents might have considered the experience. The families gathering to cheer on their loved ones as their name was called was quite heart warming.

The next couple of months will be a much needed break for this student. I have plans to do nothing this week; a long awaited nothing. I spent the last few weeks of the quarter burning the candle at both ends, and in the middle. Today's nap was well deserved, I might add.

And, there is the list of things that didn't get done while I was spending all my time studying and or nose buried in my laptop in either AutoCad, or Sketchup, or VRay; among other software. Oh, and then there is the extra ten pounds I am carrying as a result of sitting with my nose in my laptop. Architecture school really is bad for your health!

So a long, brisk walk and / or a roller-blading excursion each day, some (not much, mind you) healthy food, and some rest and relaxation will be the antidote to Architecture School for now. Then I can start all over again next fall.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, congratulations on the completion of the first year (your "notes along the way" were terrific also).

    As today is your "geburtstag," and we are leading into the July 4th holiday weekend, I hope you have extended your "R & R" through at least the fifth of July!

    So, have a Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete