Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Counting Down

I am counting down to the wire as we wrap up the fire station projects and move on into long-span structures. I am looking forward to designing an airport (I think). I haven't posted much lately as I have been spending alot of time working in the studio. The callous is back on my index finger and I haven't even started my final model for the fire station yet!

The final model is more about presentation than about design opportunity. I am very pleased with the various reviews my new concept has received. And so it is now up to me to demonstrate model building skills that are in concert with my design. I am thinking three-ply chipboard (a type of cardboard, most similar to the cardboard back of a yellow legal pad; just two or three times the thickness).

I did a rendering yesterday that well illustrated the concept as viewed from the neighborhood across the street. I was pleased to see that the private areas remained private, and the public areas were obviously accessible. I think that my concept will work (and I pledge to add pictures to this blog just as soon as the quarter is over).

I am excited about this process and the prospect of wrapping up this project. There comes a time when it is simply a production problem with limited design yet to be input. This is that time.... time to crank out the work.


At the same time, I am feeling pretty good about my other classes. I am sure I will be stumped by the challenges of studying for finals while attempting to complete a huge amount of work in studio for the final jury on this project. But that is what enthusiasm and inspiration (that comes from nothing) is all about.

That's all for now.

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning Lyle!

    I was thinking that I hadn't heard from you for awhile . . . but then thought that you might be too busy . . . . So, was going to write an email this morning to ask if you had made it over to "Burning Man" (Black Rock City, NV) - where this years theme was "Evolution": When you get an oppportunity then check out the picture above this Richard Jeffries quote on their home page (http://www.burningman.com/art_of_burningman/bm09_theme.html): "When at last I had disabused my mind of the enormous imposture of a design, an object, and an end, a purpose or a system, I began to see dimly how much more gradeur, beauty and hope there is in a divine chaos - not chaos in the sense of disorder or confusion but simply the absence of regular order - than there is in a universe made by pattern. This draught-board universe my mind had laid out: this machine-made wordl and piece of mechanism; what a petty, despicable, micro-cosmus I had substituted for reality."

    When is the quarter over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the pics!! Hey, I'm moving to Nashville at the end of the month. Let's get together.

    ReplyDelete